Saturday, June 28, 2014

A new blog

Today is June 28, 2014.  A hundred years ago right now, the Archduke Franz Ferdinand has just been killed by Gavrilo Princip in Sarajevo.  The dreadful horrors and passions of the follow century could not yet be guessed at people in the world at large.  This blog is devoted to the development of World War I, the deep causes of it, and the mass violence that emerged in the twentieth century and continues in the twenty-first.  Though this blog is focused on an earlier period, it is a successor to my blog Design for a Violent Century, which was devoted to the year of the Paris Peace Conference.  I now go back to the beginning of World War I, but I intend this commentary to be broader, and less chronologically focused, though still centered on the cataclysm of 1914 to 1918.

No comments:

Post a Comment